The Cat and Rat poster will be hosted on our website and will also be printed and displayed at the degree show. The only thing that this poster is lacking, which is a fairly practical matter are any details about where the audience find out more information and also some credits to indicate everyone's roles in the film, This is where my input for this movie poster comes in.
In order for this to look like a professional movie poster, I decided to include the standard movie poster style credits that have long, thin capital letters as pictured below.
I have credited a broad range of areas, some more specific than others (we have not yet assigned the roles of compositing, editing or sound design), but when I looked at numerous other film posters, I found that they were all done in a very specific order and only certain roles were credited, meaning that we needed to cut this down.
In order to inform the look of our poster, I looked at some film posters from other short animated films.
We initially had a few too many credits on our poster which credited specialist areas that most people would not understand, such as "UV Mapping". Now we have confined it to more general areas such as Story, Direction, Editing, Modelling, Animation and Art. All credits for specialist roles will still feature in the final film, itself. Another noteworthy point in these posters is that the website is display in block capitals in a larger font than the rest of the credits. This means that our attention is very much focused on the web address as well as the imagery, so anyone that is captivated by this piece of artwork and the film concept behind it can visit the website.
In order to figure out the order of the credits and how they should roughly look, I used the following image as a template.
After cutting down the number of poster credits, I started playing around with generic movie poster-style fonts such as Univers, which I found did not stand out clearly enough against the blue sky. I decided on a font called PT Sans Narrow, which is fairly narrow and is still readable against the backdrop. I was also able to style the font face so that the roles appeared regularly and the names appeared in bold. This could make the text easier on the eyes as there is more variation in the font. I also split the credits into several lines, starting with the narration, sound and editing; followed by all the pre-production jobs, then the CG based jobs and finally important roles like direction and story.
Here is how the poster looks with the credits put on top. They are readable, concise and understandable enough for anyone to get an idea of how we were all involved in this film project. This piece of art now functions as an advertisement for the film that can be displayed both online and also at our degree show so anyone that is interested in our film can learn more. Click on the image to see a larger version.